Historic Structures: D.O. Mills Building 1852

1852 In September, Daniel Walker and A.C. Moore sell the lot to James Mills, E.S. Townsend and D. O. Mills for $1300

1852 Townsend sells to D. O. and James Mills. The lot has a frame building which houses the post office in the back

1853 The bank, post office and Hunnewell's book and stationery store are in the building

1854 D. O. Mills is the sole owner of the brick building with a secret passage leading to the assay and smelting office. The counter in the bank is of mahogany with black walnut trim and carved moldings

1855 The first telegraph in Columbia is installed

1857 D. O. and Edgar Mills sell the building to W. O. Sleeper and A. E.Hooker for $10,000. Sleeper opens his bank

1860 A. E. Hooker sells to Sleeper for $7500

1861 The assay office moves into the post office space and the telegraph office moves out

1865 Sleeper, facing financial problems, is forced into selling to William C. Ralston from San Francisco for $5,000

1866 Wm. S. Hutchinson and Jos. Gilman buy the building for $1000, they run a news depot, stationery and grocery store. They bring the telegraph back into the building. Later Gilman sells to Hutchinson

1875 Hutchinson sells to Michael Mooney of Visalia

1876 Mooney sells to Wm. Siebert, for $300, who later sells a half interest to Frank Vassallo

1880 Lyman Tibbits rents the building for a drugstore

1881 Tibbits becomes the postmaster, so the post office returns to the building until 1895.

1889 Vassallo sells his half interest to Wm. Siebert

1897 Siebert sells his interest to Mrs. Kate Siebert

1899 Post office returns until 1911

1911 Tibbits moves out

1922 Mrs. Naegele buys the building for $10. The roof has fallen in and the floor is rotten. She renovates the building, adds 10 sleeping rooms upstairs, with a candy store on the main floor

1940 Leases to Rex Nelson for a candy store 1951 The state purchases the building from Pauline Naegele. Rex and Dorothy Nelson are operating the Columbia Candy Kitchen

1950s Candy Kitchen would open in the evenings after theater was over

1964 Dick and Ola Mae Nelson (Rex's son and daughter-in-law) take over the candy business

1971 Mike and Janice Nelson (Dick's son and daughter-in-law) take over the business

1974 The Nelson's Candy Kitchen moves to their current location

1980 The building is renovated and restored

1984 El Capitan bank opens. It was been a bank again ever since.

Today there is no longer a bank in Columbia